Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just In Sight

I wonder, if the goal is for student artwork to be a demonstration of a newly acquired enduring understanding, then what happens when the student's performance is brilliant, but the facts are all wrong?

How do I assess for understanding, when I have aesthetic preferences?

I have to be hard as nails, that's how. No, not on them, on myself.

I have to ask myself: Brother, what are your desired outcomes? What does success look like? What kind of evidence will you accept from students to prove that you, not them, are really worth your weight in salt?

No more flying by the seat of your pants, buddy.

Our book of the month is Understanding By Design and the salient quote is on page 79:


"...the thorniest problem we face in assessing for understanding is  differentiating  between the student's insights and the student's performance. How do we identify a sophisiticated understanding buried in weak performance or incorrect facts? By contrast, how do we avoid overrewarding students for being articulate and dutiful?"

This line of questioning changes everything.

Also: Kate Bush - Big Sky

No comments: