Thursday, January 22, 2009

Good Times or Bum Times?

Do you ever read Crains NY? For some reason, I do. In good times, it's like a who's who of fun and power. In not so good times, it's like a horror movie featuring wolves at the door and harbingers of doom.

But then there's this. A silver lining or a bright shining lie?

Someone says that cultural institutions are still building things and that construction projects by groups like El Museo del Barrio and the Museum of the City of New York will have an estimated economic impact of $2.2 billion dollars and create 2,500 jobs per year from 2006 to 2010.

Do they mean construction jobs? They must mean construction jobs and I will never know because all of the details are contained in a report released by the Alliance for the Arts that I will never understand or even read properly. I skimmed it. It made no sense to me.

Non sequitur: Have you noticed that organic apples are down to $1.99/pound at Whole Paycheck? Is that deflation? Are things good or bad? Are we sinking or swimming? OMG. I forgot to take math, history and political science.

The report I mentioned, Culture Builds New York: The Economic Impact of Capital Construction at New York City's Cultural Institutions, is available here as a PDF.

Also: The Magic Theater is saved!

Also: The Zipper Theater is closed!

I can't go on, I must go on.

My sister, my daughter.

Finally: Eartha.


No comments: